Sunday 16 June 2019

PQRS - PeQuliar, Rare and Strange ...

I have come across some things that are a little unexpected, or out of the ordinary, during my time in Nepal.

Even before leaving Australia, I was surprised to find a door-stop included in the First Aid Kit I was supplied with ...

... but then I suppose this would come in useful if staying in dodgy accommodation without a proper lock on the door.

I haven't needed to use my door-stop yet.

However,  I have used the spare umbrella covers that came with my First Aid kit.

They came in handy when the original cover was lost.


Public toilets are not always readily available when needed. So it is reassuring to know that there are some considerate religious gurus who provide them as a free service.


Should the sign writer have written Rump ... instead of Bump?


How good is this discount for disabled people?


You would be wrong to think that this eatery belongs to an international franchise.


I recently discovered a callous forming on the top of the big toe on my left foot.

This slowly develops each time I change up a gear on my motorbike when wearing sandals!


Not a pretty sight!

But at least my bike is in a better condition than this one ...

... which, I think, now qualifies as a piece of art!

Some internal scaffolding looks precarious ...

... but no need to worry about anyone falling here ... coz it's in the foyer of a major hospital!

This is not an uncommon sight in the open storm drain beside the road to Kathmandu ...

... but the driver was lucky. If he had been going in the opposite direction, he would have fallen over the edge ... and down a precipitous drop into the river below!

My camera wasn't so lucky. It got wet in a monsoon storm ... and never recovered ... even although I tried to dry it out by immersion in dried rice!


I have walked past this communal water tap many times ... and can't decide whether the plastic container looks like a sleeping version of a character from 'Thomas the Tank Engine' (by Wilbert Awdry)... or a surprised version.  What do you think?

Nobody is sleeping in this photo, though.

Many Hindu temples have similar images engraved on pillars and under eaves. I am told that parents do not talk about sex with their children in Nepal. Instead, temples provide depictions to educate young couples in the art. This was frowned on by the Christian church when Hindu countries were colonised. "Keep it simple" they said ...

... which, I suppose, explains the origin of the 'missionary position'.


No comments:

Post a Comment