Tuesday 4 September 2018

Festivals ... part 1

There are LOTS of festivals in Nepal!

... which is why I have labelled this post Festivals ... part 1.

I am sure I will be writing several more ...

This weekend was Teej. This is celebrated primarily by women and girls. There is lots of singing, dancing and prayer rituals dedicated to the union of Goddess Parvati and Lord Shiva. Red colour predominates: the colour of love.

I walked down the road to a local Teej celebration. There were several thousand people packed tightly under a large awning.


I was invited to sit on stage as a guest ... and expected to make a generous donation ... as all guests do on these occasions.


The main part of the festival was a competition between local women’s groups. They took turns coming onto the stage. 5 or 6 of them sat cross legged in a semicircle and sang to the accompaniment of a drummer while another danced. 






... and the winning group was ...


Celebrations continued in the evening. The family I am staying with invited me to accompany them to a relative’s home where a big meal was shared everyone. This was followed by more dancing with everyone joining in ...




So ... I think the Nepali people know how to have fun at festival time!

And ... what about birthdays ... ?

I was invited to join a party to celebrate the 11th birthday of a close relative to the family I live with. How is this for candles?!!!


You think that is fun! Well, wait until what happens next ...

Parents and guests take turns placing a piece of cake in the birthday girl’s mouth. And she reciprocates.




Then ... they smear some more cake over her cheeks and forehead as a blessing. Enormous fun but a serious ritual.


Fortunately, there was still enough cake left for the guests to eat!

Well. Today is Father’s Day in Australia ... so I am off to find myself a treat to eat ... !





3 comments:

  1. Did you give the girl a koala for her birthday?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I gave her the first of the crowd (if that is the collective name for a number of koalas) I brought with me as gifts. Nobody else gave her the same present!

      Delete
  2. Loving the pictures Dad. What a special thing to be a part of! P

    ReplyDelete