Friday 24 August 2018

What is Homesickness ... ?

So ... what is homesickness?

I never feel homesick when I am away from home. Except if it is for a long holiday. Then, I usually look forward to returning home after about 6 weeks.

So ... why am I feeling homesick now? ... after leaving Australia only 2 weeks ago!

Perhaps stress contributes to the onset of homesickness?

Today was a busy day. I met the main people I will be working with over the next 12 months. We reviewed my assignment and went over our expected outcomes.

I felt overwhelmed.

There is so much that could potentially be done to here.

The vet faculty is only a few years old. It is under resourced and understaffed. It has limited access to modern technology. Its facilities need to be upgraded and equipment needs to be purchased. Research projects have to be developed and service to the farming community needs to be improved.

Have I taken on more than I am capable of? Perhaps I should have stayed at home in familiar surroundings with friends and family to enjoy?

Instead of this, I have chosen to live in a foreign culture for one year. To work in a country that speaks a different language.

My attack of homesickness was acute. I brought a small photograph album with me to Nepal. It contains pictures of places, friends and family in Australia and Scotland. I was showing these photos to new friends when I suddenly felt a constriction in my throat and tears in my eyes. I couldn’t speak.

... but why is this called homesickness? It is not a sickness.

Homesickness is a feeling that develops when absence makes the heart grow fonder.

In reality, I was feeling a deep love for the family and friends I was missing from home.

This love is not diminished by living in a foreign country. On the contrary, it is enhanced.

What a revelation! My head now knows why my heart feels the way it does.

So ... homesickness is not a malady ... it is an expression pure love.

In the future, I may still feel a constriction in my throat when showing my photos. But this will upset me less. Because I now recognise it as a sign of a deep and powerful emotion ...

... love.









2 comments: